April 9, 2014

korean beef done two ways

Easily, my top recipe on this ol' blog is my Korean Beef. It is easy, inexpensive and sooooo delicious. I hadn't made it in a while but I made it the other night for guests with two different variations and it brought it to a whole new level for me! I think this is my new favorite way to make it!
These lettuce wraps are much easier on the carbs since you don't need to eat it with rice (though I still did with a squeeze of lime on top and some roasted sesame garlic broccoli - recipe below). Also, the sriracha lime sauce is kind of killer.

KOREAN BEEF LETTUCE WRAPS WITH SRIRACHA LIME SAUCE

KOREAN BEEF (use this for both variations):
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (I like it sweet so I usually do closer to 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (to desired spiciness)
salt and pepper
1 bunch green onions, diced

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors.

SRIRACHA LIME SAUCE:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
1/2 tablespoon sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
juice of 1 lime

Whisk together in a small bowl until smooth and set aside. Serve Korean beef on romaine lettuce with green onions and julienned carrots. Drizzle sriracha lime sauce on top and serve. 
KOREAN BEEF WITH STEAMED RICE & SESAME GARLIC ROASTED BROCCOLI

Serve Korean beef (recipe above) with steamed rice and green onions (I think these are vitally important) and a side of roasted sesame garlic broccoli (my family's favorite way to eat broccoli!)

SESAME GARLIC ROASTED BROCCOLI:
2-3 large heads of broccoli, trimmed and cut into stems
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread evenly with broccoli and garlic. Drizzle with oils and soy sauce and stir to coat. Roast in preheated oven for 12 minutes until broccoli is fork tender. Remove from oven and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve. 

3 comments:

  1. Your Korean Beef recipe is my VERY picky eater of a son's very favorite meal. I'm excited to try the variation! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Korean Beef recipe is my VERY picky eater of a son's favorite meal by far. I'm looking forward to trying the variation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds wonderful. I am wondering how many lettuce wraps this recipe makes? Thanks so much ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated to eliminate spammers and internet bullies.